Sunday, June 1, 2008

#68 Recycling Center in Garage

We finally set this up last weekend. We went to Walmart and got three large Rubbermaid storage boxes and have them set up right below the entry into the garage. Paper, plastic and aluminum/tin. I would have done two more, to separate aluminum and tin and one for "other" items (i.e. batteries, electronics) but decided that 1. the recycling center has employees to separate these and I've seen them out there doing it and they seem to enjoy it, so I'll let them separate my aluminum and tin (won't make them do everything b/c I get an odd satisfaction out of it too - strange, I know), and 2. when we have other items I will just take them when I have something to take down. We won't have too many batteries to take down since we now use rechargeable ones.

With the containers we chose, we can easily slide them into the back of the car to take down and place in their respective bins. YAY! Oh, and my cardboard boxes (in good shape and large enough) will go to my produce co-op for distributing food.

We have started working on #98 too and the man mentioned just the other day that he is shocked by how little he has to run the garbage down now. Instead of going through a garbage bag every day or two, we are going through one every 3-4 days, sometimes longer.

No comments: