Tuesday, June 10, 2008

#18 Dish 4/101


I baked apples for the first time. I've always wanted to, but never have. I even bought an apple corer a year and a half ago, just so I could make them. Let's just say it sat in its drawer for a L-O-N-G time. It had seen use before this, but was the first time it was used for what I originally purchased it for. I made them for dessert the night my friend Becca brought the Mexican Pizza (see below) for dinner. It's rather sad, but I did use a recipe. I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. Now that I do, the ideas are running rampant! I don't think I'll ever use a recipe for these again. I may even experiment with pears.

Baked Apples from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

4 Apples, cored
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 c apple juice

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place cored apples in baking dish, fill with mixture; pour juice in dish around apples and bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

I halved the recipe since it was just the two of us. I'm going to improvise next time though and who knows what I'll come up with. I was just happy I finally made them and they were SO good. And healthy too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so yummy! I may have to put some walnuts or something in there, too.

Becca and Jason said...

The apples were so yummy!!! I liked that they were still firm enough to pick up - definitely don't overbake them!

And, yes, the Mexican pizza rocks. I've never been disappointed with a Light and Tasty (now Cooking Light, BTW) recipe!

Mary said...

Yummy...Baked apples make me feel like I need to go school supply shopping! That pizza looks awesome!