Friday, May 2, 2008

#18 Dish number 2/101



Okay, so how sad is it that I have never made pasta salad? I know, I know, everyone knows how to make pasta salad. It's easy, just throw a bunch of stuff together. If you are saying this, you obviously don't know me very well. I like recipes. I have a ton of cookbooks but have never tried making a pasta salad. Why would I when I could just buy it at the store? So, here it is.

I took a recipe I found in one of my cookbooks and used it as more of a guideline. I don't do that very often. Okay, so nearly never. Whatever. I did enjoy it though, and unless my friends lied through their teeth and their kids did to, it turned out well. So here's my version:

Kitchen Sink Pasta Salad (as in everything but...)

12 oz box of Penne pasta (I prefer whole grain or whole wheat personally)
1 c. cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 c. zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 c. red pepper, sliced
8 oz Colby Jack cheese, cubed
1 can black olives, coarsely chopped
1 c. red onion, chopped
1 c. Kraft Free Zesty Italian salad dressing

1. Cook pasta according to directions on box (I add Kosher salt and a little olive oil). When finished, drain and rinse with cold water a few times.

2. While pasta is cooking, do your slicing and dicing (or chopping as the case may be).

3. Place pasta in a large bowl, add everything but the dressing and mix together.

4. Add dressing and toss to coat salad. Chill for 1 hour or longer.

I actually didn't have time to chill it before the party, but it was still yummy.

1 comment:

Becca and Jason said...

The pasta salad WAS good! Don't worry, we weren't lying!