Sunday, August 3, 2008

Already failed 3 goals

But that's ok. I've realized that I set my goals a little too high in regards to having too many "x times a month" items. So, I haven't made bread every month, I haven't cooked 2 vegetarian meals a month and I haven't blogged on all my blogs once a month either. So, I'll be depositing money into the kids college savings accounts shortly.

You know what though. I was a little bummed at first, but I have 2 kids I'm chasing around as well as trying to maintain a household and a life! I'm not worried about it. I'm not going to give up on those goals completely. I may adjust them though. Maybe 1 vegetarian meal a month and I'll still try to blog once a month, but the bread thing I just don't have time for right now. I will try to get my life organized a bit more and then work on getting the bread baking added back in.

So there we have it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in failing goals, just readjusting them. You're a hardworking mom - give yourself some credit!!

Mary said...

I fully agree with Corinne. Adjust your goals - this should be an enjoyable learning experience. You've learned that vegetarian meals (which I'm sure you must eat pasta and just spaghetti sauce every once in a while right? or maybe a grilled cheese for dinner sometime? a vegetarian meal doesn't have to come from a recipe does it?)...okay, I was starting to say that you've learned that vegetarian meals and bread baking are not high priorities for you. Not that the goals themselves are too lofty, but the lengths you are trying to reach them are. I've got a recipe for some beer bread:

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)

Directions
1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2Mix dry ingredients and beer.

3Pour into a greased loaf pan.

4Pour melted butter over mixture.

5Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.


6UPDATED NOTES: Sifting flour for bread recipes is a must-do. Most people just scoop the 1 cup measure in the flour canister and level it off. That compacts the flour and will turn your bread into a "hard biscuit" as some have described. That's because they aren't sifting their flour! If you do not have a sifter, use a spoon to spoon the flour into the 1 cup measure. Try it once the "correct" way and you will see an amazing difference in the end product.


See...a bread you don't have to knock yourself out over. You might not be able to make a sandwich out of it...but it sure is tasty.

Mary said...

Adding that the beer bread recipe is also vegetarian. :) Just trying to make you smile.

Melissa said...

I am proud of you for all of your many acomplishments! You are an awesome mom and a wonderful friend. Keep up the good work friend!